Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or equivalent, including the following required courses:
- English - any Grade 12 (C) or (U), or equivalent
- Biology - Grade 11 (C) or (U) or Grade 12 (U)
Additional requirements for admission:
- Pre-admission testing: completion of an aptitude exam is required.
Visit vnmanga.info/par for information about additional pre-admission requirements for this program.
Recommended courses or skills: What's this?
These courses are not required for admission.
- Health Care - Grade 11 (C)
- Healthy Active Living Education - Grade 12 (O)
- Pre-Health Sciences - Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas program
- Related volunteer or cooperative work experience
Selection and Ranking Process
For competitive programs (the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available places), selection will be based on the highest senior level final grade available at the time of ranking. Mid-term grades are not used for ranking purposes. Testing or other supplemental evaluation may be required.
Program Requirements What's this?
- The confidential Communicable Disease Surveillance (CDS) form must be completed and submitted to Niagara College Student Health Services prior to the start of the program. Please view the current CDS form and checklist for requirements (vaccination documentation/ proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and 2 step TB testing) at niagaracollege. ca/healthservices.
- This program requires annual TB updates (1 step). Influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria pertussis vaccinations are recommended.
- Students are required to provide copies of their certification for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) at Level HCP (Health Care Provider), Adult/Child/Infant one and two rescuer CPR with AED and First Aid for choking including artificial resuscitation using both pocket mask and bag-valve mask. (This program is designed for those with specific health care responsibilities).
- Students are responsible for maintaining annual CPR and First Aid certification throughout the program.
- All costs associated with CPR/First Aid testing, vaccinations, and/or verification are the responsibility of the student.
- All health requirements must be met by the start of the program or a placement will be denied.
Student Lab Uniform:
Students are required to wear a lab uniform in all lab classes. The lab uniform consists of a black scrub top and pants. Students are to purchase their own uniform before the start of lab.
Criminal Reference Check (CRC):
Most employers have instituted a CRC with vulnerable sector screening as a requirement for appropriate field placement and for subsequent employment. The CRC must be obtained during Term 1 of the program prior to the start of placement. All costs associated with the CRC are the responsibility of the student.
Students are responsible for their own transportation to complete clinical placement requirements. Niagara College cannot guarantee placements that are readily accessible by public transportation. Students are responsible for all costs connected with such transportation.
As health care professionals, OTAs & PTAs are required to tolerate regular physical activity throughout the duration of their work day. Therefore, it is recommended by the OTA & PTA program that applicants have a high level of fitness when entering the program.