Initial preparation and demolition work is scheduled to begin the week of September 19 for the Simcoe Extension and Student Services/Student Commons projects at the Welland Campus. Please watch for new direction signage and refer to this campus map for key detours and access changes.
These projects are part of a $50-million campus redevelopment that includes projects at the Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake campuses, designed to enhance our students’ experience and modernize our learning environments.
The preliminary and demolition work on the Simcoe extension and Student Services/Student Commons project requires the closure of some areas of the main complex at the Welland Campus, and will result in temporary changes to interior and exterior access points (see map):
- The corridor that runs behind the existing cafeteria and east of the Hamilton Room is closed. Access to The Core, The Shack, SAC offices and Athletics Centre will be via the Learning Commons or Merritt corridor.
- UPDATE: Arrangements have been made to provide access to the prayer room during the construction period. A new, expanded prayer room is part of the Student Commons project.
- Access to the Hamilton Room will be from the south corridor only. To comply with fire regulations, a set of temporary doors will be installed for access to S160.
- The Core patio will be closed, and the former north patio door will be an emergency exit only.
- The eastern portion of the traffic turnaround off of North Road (between the Rankin Technology Centre and the Athletic Centre), will be permanently closed. Pedestrian access from the C parking lots will remain along the east side of the Rankin Technology Centre. Limited accessible parking spots will be available on the east side of the traffic turnaround. These spots will eventually be relocated to the C-lot. In the meantime, click here to view all Welland Campus lots, including all .
The Simcoe expansion is a 37,000-square-foot extension to the north end of the Simcoe Building that will include a student activity centre and a 600-seat cafeteria and an expansion of the existing prayer room. The two-storey renovation will also accommodate Justice Studies programs, including new demonstration labs and classrooms. The project is scheduled for completion in August 2017.
Currently entering its second phase, the Student Services Renovations and Student Commons project will include renovations to accommodate integrated student services, upgrades to the library, including a student test centre, and the creation of a new student commons. Phase 2, which includes renovated spaces for administration, health and wellness, the Centre for Student Engagement and Leadership, Co-op, and Student Services, is scheduled for completion in fall 2017.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we complete these exciting projects. For more information and regular updates, visit vnmanga.info/campusredevelopment.