We believe that many people acquire college-level learning and skills through many means. Candidates may be granted Niagara College credits based on an assessment of their prior learning.
- Individuals might have achieved college-level learning and skills through: work experience, community work, non-credit courses, self-directed study, travel or military service.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age, or have earned their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- PLAR is intended for students who are resuming their education, rather than those continuing directly from high school.
- Adults who have successfully challenged a given course or courses, by demonstrating or documenting that they have achieved the course objectives, will be granted college credits.
- Applicants are not required to enrol in their program of choice before requesting PLAR, but may wish to, particularly if the program is a very popular one.
How many credits can I receive?
- You are allowed to gain up to 75% of the credits required for a certificate or diploma program through prior learning. You must complete the remaining 25% of the program requirements by enrolling in classes at Niagara College.
- Upon successful completion of your PLAR request, a percentage grade or a designation of ᾮSᾯ will be recorded on your transcript.
Interested in gaining credits through PLAR?
- Read the PLAR application process for detailed steps and determine if you feel PLAR may be suitable for you.
- Your next step is to call or email the Pathways Advisor to discuss your educational plans. They will help you with the PLAR process.
- Visit the Cost and Forms page to download the forms that you need, and to review the PLAR fees.
Attention Current Students – Important:
- Receiving course credits through the PLAR process may adversely affect course load and eligibility for OSAP and other sponsorships.
- If you are applying for assessment for a course you are currently enrolled in, you must continue to attend classes until the challenge process has been successfully completed.